Includes unlimited streaming via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
Purchasable with gift card
£5GBP or more
Variants.2 CD and box available at https://burningshed.com/store/richardbarbieri
Compact Disc (CD) + Digital Album
1. FROZEN HEARTS OF HOLLYWOOD (9:45) is a new composition and a piece that I would like to fully orchestrate one day if finances allow. Inspired by soundtracks of the 70’s (that were in turn inspired by 40’s and 50’s film noir) and in particular “Chinatown” and the desolation behind the eyes of Faye Dunaway. I found by chance a spoken poem on a sample site that resonated with this and with kind permission I use some of these words at the start and end of this track. Sophie Worthen - Spoken Words. Suzanne Barbieri - Sampled Voices. RB - Music
2. RIME (6:29) is a new piece where each component has a different tempo and plays randomly in relation to all the other overdubs. Occasionally some parts will sync or unite and then fall into randomness. The temptation to leave the the outro section running for the length of this EP was great.
3. NIGHT OF THE HUNTER part 2 (6:55) Recorded live at St Margarets Church of Antioch - Sept 2017 has an improvised coda of Lisen’s looped voices that thankfully was captured. Featuring Lisen Rylander Löve - Voices, Electronics. Luca Calabrese - Trumpet, Electronics. RB - Synthesisers, Keyboards. The Backing Track contained Percussion Programming and Bass Synthesisers by RB.
4. ANTIOCH (5:01) Recorded live at St Margarets Church of Antioch - Sept 2017 was a piece I prepared before the concert to be used as a backdrop for Lisen and Luca to improvise over. I also liked the idea of writing something just for that occasion. I let the track run and left the stage to Lisen Rylander Löve - Saxophone. Luca Calabrese - Trumpet.
5. HYPNOTEK (9:32) Recorded live at St Margarets Church of Antioch - Sept 2017 has been played at all my solo concerts to date and each time we try to give it a different feel. This one is the best version so far in my opinion. Lisen Rylander Löve - Saxophone, Kalimba, Electronics. Luca Calabrese - Trumpet. RB - Synthesisers, Keyboards. The Backing Track contained Programmed Percussion, Bass Synthesisers and Textures by RB.
All tracks written and produced by Richard Barbieri and published by Orange Asylum Music. Administered by Universal Music Publishing Group.
Mastered by Lee Fletcher (Unsung Productions)
P & C 2018 RICHARD BARBIERI
Art - detail from a work in progress 2017 by Samantha Keely Smith used with kind permission, Design - Bill Smith
The intention is to make available a collectors box at the conclusion of the five part Variants series. There will be an option to have the box autographed when it is available for order.
Please note that due to the handling and shipping arrangements it is not possible for Richard to sign items or add dedications. If an item is available signed it is noted as such in the description.
Includes unlimited streaming of Variants.2
via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.
Released in 1996 from Jansen, Babrieri and Karn's own Medium Productions label, which folded in 2004. Tracks 1-3 recorded in London 1995. Tracks 4-7 taken from the album "Worlds In A Small Room". Richard Barbieri